1. Health, United States, 2015: with special feature on racial and ethnic health disparities. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics, 2016.
2. Nobles M. Shades of citizenship: race and the Census in modern politics.: Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press, 2000.
3. Nobles M. History counts: a comparative analysis of racial/color categorization in US and Brazilian censuses. Am J Public Health 2000;90:1738–1745.
4. United States Census 2020. Questions asked on the form. 2020 (https://2020census.gov/en/about-questions.html).
5. Borrell LN. Racial identity among Hispanics: implications for health and well-being. Am J Public Health 2005;95:379–381.
6. United States Census 2020. 2020 Census questions: race. 2020 (https://2020census.gov/en/about-questions/2020-census-questions-race.html).
7. Hughes EC. Dilemmas and contradictions of status. Am J Sociol 1945;50:353–359.
8. Master status. In: Bell K, ed. Open education sociology dictionary. 2013 (https://sociologydictionary.org/master-status/).
9. Gross T. A ‘forgotten history’ of how the U.S. government segregated America. National Public Radio (NPR). May 3, 2017 (https://www.npr.org/2017/05/03/526655831/a-forgotten-history-of-how-the-u-s-government-segregated-america).
10. Krieger N. Embodying inequality: a review of concepts, measures, and methods for studying health consequences of discrimination. Int J Health Serv 1999;29:295–352.
11. Jakobsson M, Scholz SW, Scheet P, et al. Genotype, haplotype and copy-number variation in worldwide human populations. Nature 2008;451:998–1003.
12. Bergström A, McCarthy SA, Hui R, et al. Insights into human genetic variation and population history from 929 diverse genomes. Science 2020;367(6484):eaay5012–eaay5012.
13. Banda Y, Kvale MN, Hoffmann TJ, et al. Characterizing race/ethnicity and genetic ancestry for 100,000 subjects in the Genetic Epidemiology Research on Adult Health and Aging (GERA) cohort. Genetics 2015;200:1285–1295.
14. Denny JC. Chapter 13: mining electronic health records in the genomics era. PLoS Comput Biol 2012;8(12):e1002823–e1002823.
15. Hoffman JD, Park JJ, Schreiber-Agus N, et al. The Ashkenazi Jewish carrier screening panel: evolution, status quo, and disparities. Prenat Diagn 2014;34:1161–1167.
16. Micheletti SJ, Bryc K, Ancona Esselmann SG, et al. Genetic consequences of the transatlantic slave trade in the Americas. Am J Hum Genet 2020;107:265–277.
17. Bryc K, Durand EY, Macpherson JM, Reich D, Mountain JL. The genetic ancestry of African Americans, Latinos, and European Americans across the United States. Am J Hum Genet 2015;96:37–53.
18. González Burchard E, Borrell LN, Choudhry S, et al. Latino populations: a unique opportunity for the study of race, genetics, and social environment in epidemiological research. Am J Public Health 2005;95:2161–2168.
19. Udler MS, Nadkarni GN, Belbin G, et al. Effect of genetic African ancestry on eGFR and kidney disease. J Am Soc Nephrol 2015;26:1682–1692.
20. Teo BW, Zhang L, Guh J-Y, et al. Glomerular filtration rates in Asians. Adv Chronic Kidney Dis 2018;25:41–48.
21. Powe NR. Black kidney function matters: use or misuse of race? JAMA 2020;324:737–738.
22. Galanter JM, Gignoux CR, Oh SS, et al. Differential methylation between ethnic sub-groups reflects the effect of genetic ancestry and environmental exposures. Elife 2017;6:e20532–e20532.
23. Chen MS Jr, Lara PN, Dang JH, Paterniti DA, Kelly K. Twenty years post-NIH Revitalization Act: Enhancing Minority Participation in Clinical Trials (EMPaCT): laying the groundwork for improving minority clinical trial accrual: renewing the case for enhancing minority participation in cancer clinical trials. Cancer 2014;120:Suppl 7:1091–1096.
24. Liu Y, Sun L, Liu J, et al. Multicolor (Vis-NIR) mesoporous silica nanospheres linked with lanthanide complexes using 2-(5-bromothiophen)imidazo[4,5-f][1,10]phenanthroline for in vitro bioimaging. Dalton Trans 2015;44:237–246.
25. Nadkarni GN, Gignoux CR, Sorokin EP, et al. Worldwide frequencies of APOL1 renal risk variants. N Engl J Med 2018;379:2571–2572.
26. Kopp JB, Nelson GW, Sampath K, et al. APOL1 genetic variants in focal segmental glomerulosclerosis and HIV-associated nephropathy. J Am Soc Nephrol 2011;22:2129–2137.
27. National Cancer Institute. Prostate cancer: recent trends in SEER age-adjusted incidence rates, 2000–2017 (https://seer.cancer.gov/explorer/application.html?site=66&data_type=1&graph_type=2&compareBy=race&chk_race_5=5&chk_race_4=4&chk_race_3=3&chk_race_6=6&chk_race_2=2&hdn_sex=2&age_range=1&stage=101&rate_type=1&advopt_precision=1&advopt_display=2).
28. Han Y, Rand KA, Hazelett DJ, et al. Prostate cancer susceptibility in men of African ancestry at 8q24. J Natl Cancer Inst 2016;108:108–108.
29. Food and Drug Administration. FDA drug safety communication: reduced effectiveness of Plavix (clopidogrel) in patients who are poor metabolizers of the drug. March 12, 2010 (https://www.fda.gov/drugs/postmarket-drug-safety-information-patients-and-providers/fda-drug-safety-communication-reduced-effectiveness-plavix-clopidogrel-patients-who-are-poor).
30. Wu AH, White MJ, Oh S, Burchard E. The Hawaii clopidogrel lawsuit: the possible effect on clinical laboratory testing. Per Med 2015;12:179–181.
31. Martin AR, Kanai M, Kamatani Y, Okada Y, Neale BM, Daly MJ. Clinical use of current polygenic risk scores may exacerbate health disparities. Nat Genet 2019;51:584–591.
32. Burchard EG, Oh SS, Foreman MG, Celedón JC. Moving toward true inclusion of racial/ethnic minorities in federally funded studies: a key step for achieving respiratory health equality in the United States. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2015;191:514–521.
33. Torgerson DG, Ampleford EJ, Chiu GY, et al. Meta-analysis of genome-wide association studies of asthma in ethnically diverse North American populations. Nat Genet 2011;43:887–892.
34. Manrai AK, Funke BH, Rehm HL, et al. Genetic misdiagnoses and the potential for health disparities. N Engl J Med 2016;375:655–665.
35. Sirugo G, Williams SM, Tishkoff SA. The missing diversity in human genetic studies. Cell 2019;177:26–31.
36. Huo D, Hu H, Rhie SK, et al. Comparison of breast cancer molecular features and survival by African and European ancestry in the Cancer Genome Atlas. JAMA Oncol 2017;3:1654–1662.
37. Quanjer PH, Stanojevic S, Cole TJ, et al. Multi-ethnic reference values for spirometry for the 3-95-yr age range: the Global Lung Function 2012 equations. Eur Respir J 2012;40:1324–1343.
38. Hankinson JL, Odencrantz JR, Fedan KB. Spirometric reference values from a sample of the general U.S. population. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1999;159:179–187.
39. Chien JW, Sullivan KM. Carbon monoxide diffusion capacity: how low can you go for hematopoietic cell transplantation eligibility? Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 2009;15:447–453.
40. Moreno-Estrada A, Gignoux CR, Fernández-López JC, et al. Human genetics: the genetics of Mexico recapitulates Native American substructure and affects biomedical traits. Science 2014;344:1280–1285.
41. Stokes WA, Hendrix LH, Royce TJ, et al. Racial differences in time from prostate cancer diagnosis to treatment initiation: a population-based study. Cancer 2013;119:2486–2493.
42. Crews DC, Liu Y, Boulware LE. Disparities in the burden, outcomes, and care of chronic kidney disease. Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens 2014;23:298–305.
43. Epstein AM, Ayanian JZ, Keogh JH, et al. Racial disparities in access to renal transplantation — clinically appropriate or due to underuse or overuse? N Engl J Med 2000;343:1537–1544.
44. Ayanian JZ, Cleary PD, Keogh JH, Noonan SJ, David-Kasdan JA, Epstein AM. Physicians’ beliefs about racial differences in referral for renal transplantation. Am J Kidney Dis 2004;43:350–357.
45. Victor RG, Lynch K, Li N, et al. A cluster-randomized trial of blood-pressure reduction in Black barbershops. N Engl J Med 2018;378:1291–1301.
Herbert Needleman, MD, a physician-scientist whose lead in consumer products was removed due to research…
ਸਤਾਰਾਂ ਐਨਆਈਈਐਚਐਸ ਫੈਲੋਜ਼ ਨੂੰ 199 ਨੈਸ਼ਨਲ ਇੰਸਟੀਚਿ ofਟ ਆਫ਼ ਹੈਲਥ (ਐਨਆਈਐਚ) ਦੇ ਖੋਜਕਰਤਾਵਾਂ ਵਿੱਚ ਖੋਜ…
In this inaugural director’s column, I would like to share with you what makes me…
As a tool of great promise for the treatment of inherited human diseases, the clustered…